Thursday, July 5, 2007

Python and MochiKit for the win

Last Friday we concluded the first ever NTT MCL prototyping contest. The rules were simple: we could form teams of up to 3 employees and had one month to prototype any idea we wanted. We had to submit an entry form with our idea and the team members at the beginning of the contest. The judging of submissions would not only consider the technical aspects of the idea but also the feasibility of developing it into a full-scale product to be sold/marketed by NTT Communications or one of our sister companies. Basically, cheap market research. :)

Obviously, I cannot go into the details of the submissions, except to say that one team (of three) implemented theirs in C++, one team (of three) used Java, another team (of two) used C and perl, and my team (of two) used Python and JavaScript. Of course, we all implemented our own project ideas so the amount of work per project varied greatly.

The verdict is in: my team won. And I think it was all thanks to the rapid prototyping made possible by modern scripting languages. The C/perl team dropped out at the last minute due to a content provider their project depended on going off-line since the day before the deadline and presentation. The other two teams (using C++ and Java) had interesting ideas and working prototypes, but in both cases the prototypes were just barely functional. It was a prototyping contest, so that is to be expected.

However, we demonstrated a fully-working dynamic web-based application with real-time updates (graphs and charts would literally change while you were looking at them in response to external data). Not to sound like I'm bragging, but it was polished.

I have to say, I haven't done full-on web development in years, and I was refreshed at how much easier it has gotten. In particular, I found that I could apply more-or-less traditional client-server design with the client implemented in JavaScript and running in the browser, using AJAX to make requests to a JSON server implemented in python. MochiKit, as promised, made JavaScript suck less. Come to think of it, since I used Bob Ippolito's MochiKit on the client and simplejson python module on the server, I guess you could say Bob won the competition for us.

Anyway, the one thing that really disappointed me was that no one asked how we did it. I didn't actually care whether we won or not, but I am really proud of the technology under the hood. I expected that, presenting to 20+ engineers at a research and development company someone would say "cool, how did you do that?" To my chagrin, not one person asked (although, my coworker Zach came by my office later to ask). I know it is cheezy, but I was really hoping someone would ask if I used Ruby on Rails so I could respond, "no, it was Kelly on Caffeine." :)

In case anyone out there reading this is curious: I didn't use TurboGears, Pylons, or Django either. I'll be first to admit it was just a prototype rather than a full-blown production web application, but I found the python cgi and wsgiref modules, flup's FastCGI WSGI server, and Bob Ippolito's simplejson module more than adequate to implement a fast JSON server that interfaced with a PostgreSQL database backend. No proprietary templating languages, no object-relational mappers trying (futilely) to apply python syntax to SQL, no cryptic stack traces through 18 layers of unfamiliar framework code. Just SQL queries, JSON, and good old fashioned client-server request handling (where requests came via CGI). All of the user interface compontents were implemented by logic that executed on the client-side. I can't imagine any web application framework being faster either in terms of developer or CPU time.

Given the choice, however, I would have preferred to not have had to use JavaScript to implement the client. Suck "less" indeed.

1 comment:

jjinux said...

> And I think it was all thanks to the rapid prototyping made possible by modern scripting languages.

Perhaps...or maybe it's because you *really are* one of the best programmers I know ;)

Congrats! I wish I could have been there.